Welcome to Luton Town - Football262

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stockport Hatter

New contract for Nathan

43 posts in this topic

Well done Nathan, I am sure the other L2 league clubs that visit Kenilworth Road over the next few seasons will be delighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely hope its good news, in my book he's still unproven. I really like his enthusiastic management style but have reservations about his coaching, tactics, and player perception. 

IMO he hasn't yet got a defence that will get us up, set pieces will be our downfall, he hasn't got a mid field that can dominate the game or even compete against the top sides.

I'm in no way advocating his demise, I'm sure he will get it right in the end, sadly not this season.

Cue the abuse.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news as long as it doesn't mean an imminent extension for Juan Toomany Cook!

Maybe the longer term security that this contract gives NJ will result in him being a bit/lot more flexible with some of his more 'stubborn' beliefs that haven't really clicked properly this season at this level ... or maybe he will simply continue with them until they eventually work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Iknewjoepayne said:

I sincerely hope its good news, in my book he's still unproven. I really like his enthusiastic management style but have reservations about his coaching, tactics, and player perception. 

IMO he hasn't yet got a defence that will get us up, set pieces will be our downfall, he hasn't got a mid field that can dominate the game or even compete against the top sides.

I'm in no way advocating his demise, I'm sure he will get it right in the end, sadly not this season.

Cue the abuse.

On the positive side with this extended contract Joe is that it gives time for evolution rather than revolution.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent! Very pleased to hear this news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having  recovered from the initial shock when I turned on TV text football news and spotted the word signed which I speed read at first as 'resigned', I too am delighted by this development. But always on the lookout for coded messages, I just wonder whether other clubs have been sniffing around our manager. If so,  2020 should now be in a position to demand sizeable compensation if/when he's tempted elsewhere.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Welcome news imo - have a sense he is very much learning his trade, and applying theory to practice - and I suspect he is a quick learner.   With our history I do feel solid progress is the most important thing - and at least we are doing that over last season.   Was the same with JS who, I suspect, reached his limits with promotion from Conference.    I believe NJ is very able to take us to the Championship over the next 3-5 yrs and that would do for me.   Most interesting, promotion or not this season, will be his actions in  the next transfer window, which maybe be coloured by which Division we are in.   Even after  60+ yrs watching Luton I am increasingly aware that the  skill/physique/tactics etc etc have never been more different from one League to another - must be caused top  down from the foreign imports in  the Premier League - but I wonder how anumber of Championship sides would do in League 2?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, holbeachhatter said:

Very Welcome news imo - have a sense he is very much learning his trade, and applying theory to practice - and I suspect he is a quick learner.   With our history I do feel solid progress is the most important thing - and at least we are doing that over last season.   Was the same with JS who, I suspect, reached his limits with promotion from Conference.    I believe NJ is very able to take us to the Championship over the next 3-5 yrs and that would do for me.   Most interesting, promotion or not this season, will be his actions in  the next transfer window, which maybe be coloured by which Division we are in.   Even after  60+ yrs watching Luton I am increasingly aware that the  skill/physique/tactics etc etc have never been more different from one League to another - must be caused top  down from the foreign imports in  the Premier League - but I wonder how anumber of Championship sides would do in League 2?

Nicely put.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just being a touch contrarian and maybe tongue in cheek, but why are supporters expressing such joy regarding Nathan’s new contract when his old contract ran until 2018?

  • Is it for his building fortress Kenilworth Road, the ground all L2 team fear? Well, probably not.
  • Is it the entertaining brand of football we play at home? Well, probably not.
  • Is it our respect to his loyalty to playing out of form players? Well, possibly, loyalty is a great thing.
  • Is it in admiration for flirting with automatic promotion on a financial shoestring in a similar way to Exeter, Stevenage and Carlisle? Well, in all honesty, that’s hardly the case.
  • Is it because of his passion? Well, yes, I understand that one: the ability to self-administer CPR after a win is a skill.

So, as I say, just having a little fun but why the elation compared to say waiting until January 2018 to extend?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done 20/20 absolutely right decision although he is still learning his trade I have every confidence he will get it right in the end . This gives him fhe security to build correctly rather than quick fixes/gambles. Lets hope more of our youth can make the step up over the next season or two

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but Iam with IKJP and Wimbo on this one. Still work in progress as far as Iam concerned.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wimbohatter said:

Just being a touch contrarian and maybe tongue in cheek, but why are supporters expressing such joy regarding Nathan’s new contract when his old contract ran until 2018?

  • Is it for his building fortress Kenilworth Road, the ground all L2 team fear? Well, probably not.
  • Is it the entertaining brand of football we play at home? Well, probably not.
  • Is it our respect to his loyalty to playing out of form players? Well, possibly, loyalty is a great thing.
  • Is it in admiration for flirting with automatic promotion on a financial shoestring in a similar way to Exeter, Stevenage and Carlisle? Well, in all honesty, that’s hardly the case.
  • Is it because of his passion? Well, yes, I understand that one: the ability to self-administer CPR after a win is a skill.

So, as I say, just having a little fun but why the elation compared to say waiting until January 2018 to extend?

Call me an old cynic, Wimbo, but if you saw my post earlier, you'll realise that my take on this piece of news is that I welcome it but think that 2020 are craftily tying NJ to a longish contract so that if/when the cheque-book wielding clubs come sniffing around we can be assured of decent compensation before they agree to release him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Firmly in the work in progress camp.

He is learning his trade, but must learn quickly. He is blessed with a crop of youngsters who are knocking on the door but not yet ready. He needs to prune a few of the; thanks, bye, next variety. No room, nor finance to sustain fringe players who do a bit here and there. Jury has to be out but from afar it appears that a few need to be moved on to make way for some new blood, L1 or,  more likely (IMO) L2.

Overall another shrewd 2020 move, NJ's name is being mentioned (AVFC) here and then when jobs come up. Long contract means compensation. 

Happy for now, but.......he has to learn from the errors of this season.

Edited by westcountryhatter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, westcountryhatter said:

Firmly in the work in progress camp.

He is learning his trade, but must learn quickly. He is blessed with a crop of youngsters who are knocking on the door but not yet ready. He needs to prune a few of the; thanks, bye, next variety. No room, nor finance to sustain fringe players who do a bit here and there. Jury has to be out but from afar it appears that a few need to be moved on to make way for some new blood, L1 or,  more likely (IMO) L2.

Overall another shrewd 2020 move, NJ's name is being mentioned (AVFC) here and then when jobs come up. Long contract means compensation. 

Happy for now, but.......he has to learn from the errors of this season.

At Meet the Manager NJ was at pains to stress that this summer wouldn't see a sea-change in the squad as happened last summer, even if we are plying our trade in L1.

Furthermore, he also said that we were a small (height-wise) squad and that was a deliberate/conscious decision because of the types of players he wanted.

I, for one, sincerely hope that he re-calibrates his squad requirements now that he has had a full season in which to see the strengths and weaknesses.  We may have two CBs progressing from the academy but, despite being technically gifted, neither could really be classified physically as 'monsters' and, if we remain in L2, just having Cuthbert to clear aerial attacks isn't enough, especially if we have a GK who doesn't look overly confident with crosses.

But our main shortfall is in midfield where there are too many clones (some may pronounce that "clowns") and not enough variation.  Having a shipload of no. 10 players hasn't done us or NJ any favours IMO.  The usual request for an experienced general who can lift a team when required can be repeated until the sun burns out but I'm not convinced we will see such a signing ... if such a player actually exists for us at L2 or, hopefully, L1 level.

I do wish NJ would trial 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 from the start of a match to see if it is more suitable for players in the 4th tier - I haven't spoken to anyone who really believes the diamond (or narrow diamond) formation works in our favour. With all the best will in the land, if the players aren't mobile enough fit enough, clever enough or motivated enough to play it then why persist?  Our home results and performances (in the main) have been little short of shocking with most other teams looking better organised and better equipped to cope with the requirements of L2 - our technically better players cannot show that they are technically better!

 

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with you Proud especially the midfield bit as someone once said you have to win the battle before you start playing and thats true at whatever level you play. Too often we lose that midfield battle so the flair players never get their platform to shine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo 2020,  a strong statement to the backward element amongst us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wimbohatter said:

Well done Nathan, I am sure the other L2 league clubs that visit Kenilworth Road over the next few seasons will be delighted.

Can't help but think that that miserable post is going to come back and bite you in the arse Wimbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bernard Shakey said:

Well done 20/20 absolutely right decision although he is still learning his trade I have every confidence he will get it right in the end . This gives him fhe security to build correctly rather than quick fixes/gambles. Lets hope more of our youth can make the step up over the next season or two

See where we are in January 2019 Bernard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bernard Shakey said:

Totally agree with you Proud especially the midfield bit as someone once said you have to win the battle before you start playing and thats true at whatever level you play. Too often we lose that midfield battle so the flair players never get their platform to shine.

Can I ask who was it who said "you have to win the battle before you start playing"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ODTT said:

Can I ask who was it who said "you have to win the battle before you start playing"?

Bill Shankley.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

About Us

Football262 (previously Sports262) was started after the BBC closed down their 606 sports forum. It was created to provide those who used that site a new place to discuss their favourite teams.

Donations

For those who would like to donate to the running costs of the forums